An Ocean in Your Sky – A Video Art Exhibition

an animated GIF of a city in the middle of a red ocean

AN OCEAN IN YOUR SKY

“An Ocean in Your Sky” Animated Video, 2022, by Ryan Seslow

–> VIEW THE FULL ONLINE EXHIBITION HERE <–

A story about change..

We will all face times in our lives where we must shed a role, identity and perception of ourself that we no longer are.. Perhaps that metamorphosis can be intentionally induced through a form of creative metaphoric narrative? The medium may be generated through meditation, a gaming engine, animation, video and the written word. That is one small formula, this is my attempt to integrate and simulate such a thing…

The “pieces” in the exhibition contain a series of written passages, looping animations and aesthetically stylized videos. The artwork as a whole is soundless. I believe that there is great depth and beauty in soundlessness. It is an overlooked medium and energy source that hearing people take for granted. The intention of the soundlessness is to provoke the viewer to go inside of themselves and connect to that pending emotional state that needs to be faced. But “how” does one know once it has shed a self-perception of themselves?

That evidence can only arrive through a metric of “time” spent in new and contrasting experiences..

Or perhaps, I am simply wrong. I’m OK with that..