Exploring Analog, Digital & Ai Mediums in Art: Layered Image Hacks from Old Slide Libraries

glowing slide hack image

As an artist, I’m always seeking new ways to create and communicate through visual imagery. In today’s technology-driven world, there are endless ways to be experimental, combining analog, digital and now Ai mediums to generate fresh perspectives. I find to be as exciting as can be!

slides - slide hack project

A looooong time ago as an undergraduate art and design student, I never imagined that I would ever view the slide projector as a medium for future art making. However, in recent years, I have discovered the hidden potential of old slide libraries to help generate and create new artworks. I see this exercise as a great collaborative project for students of all ages! More on that later.

Above, we see a series of scanned remnants from various times, spaces and places. Working with the abandoned slide libraries from a few of the universities I teach for across New York City, I have found my inspiration. The first series of experiments involved layering four intentionally selected slides with strong light source from underneath to create an analog transparency. The resulting images were then edited and juxtaposed for context and composition, resulting in new works of art.

slide hack project

Through my work with these precious “fossils,” I’ve discovered a new way of seeing the world and objects around us. The situational narrative of the abandoned slide libraries have become the inspiration for my art making experiments breathing new life into outdated technology. (I also really love the word “re-contextualize”.) As I continue to develop the series, I am exploring different ways to present these layered images. I picked up an old data projector via Craigs list a while back, and it has been propelled back into action! 

slides - slide hack project

Several of these images are being turned into animations for video and GIFs, adding a dynamic element to the already compelling compositions. Stay tuned for part two, as I delve deeper into the process of creating these layered image hacks. But photo documenting these was obviously not the last stop, I had to see what our new friend “Ai” may do.. keep reading and scrolling for that!

slides - slide hack project

In creating the layered image hacks, I have found that the process is intuitive and immediate, allowing me to tap into inspired energy and create something new and unique. The juxtaposition of historical images with modern technology has led to a new awareness, both for myself as an artist and for those who may view my work. One of the most exciting aspects of this project is the endless possibilities for presentation.

slides - slide hack project

The images can be printed on a variety of materials, from traditional paper to fabric or even metal, to create a tactile and dimensional effect. They can also be projected onto walls, creating a larger-than-life presence that immerses the viewer in the layers of the image. The slide below was projected onto the corner of a wall, as an example.

slides - slide hack project

As I continue to work on this project, I am excited to see where it will take me. As I mentioned, Ai has entered the chat.. By exploring both analog, digital and Ai mediums, I am able to push the boundaries of traditional art-making and generate new ways of looking at the world. I hope to inspire others to see the beauty in the unexpected and to find creativity in even the most mundane of objects. Let’s be honest, we all wrote off slides many years ago!

The new variations generated above and below are by DALL-E 2 added a new dimension to the project, highlighting the possibilities of combining different technologies in the creative process. The outcomes are so good! I further manipulated the variations in adobe photoshop to make them more compelling and spellbinding!

slide hack project

Overall, this project demonstrates the importance of embracing innovation and experimentation in the art making practice. By utilizing both old and new technologies, and exploring different mediums and techniques, we can create works that are truly unique. And by applying these layered image hacks to DALL-E 2, we can open up new possibilities for creative expression and push the boundaries of what is possible in the art world.

Have fun!